Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shifting Gears

I know this blog is mostly about the kids, however, I am embarking on a major project, so I thought I would use this page to document the work. What is this project? PINK PALACE RENO. Yup, the pink palace, AKA main bathroom, is being gutted to the bones and completely redone. The final design plans are still in limbo, even though the walls have come down. I am waiting to get another plumber in to talk about moving the toilet. I started a week ago tearing through the hall closet (to be the new bathroom entrance). Days one and two were extremely slow. I worked in the morning while the kids were in school. I had an errand on the way home both days and then had to clean up before getting them. I also had to do my own waste removal. HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY. The closet alone took three large barrels (which Ethan helped me lug down the stairs and out the door) and 4 large 3mil contractor bags (that I loaded and removed at least to the porch. Day three I called in the big guns. Bob, Jackie, Ethan and I all got dirty while the kids looked after themselves (literally). Jackie and I went to town on the walls, removing tile, cement board and plaster. We dumped the junk into 5 gallon pails that disappeared when full and reappeared empty. (magical). Bob took out the ceiling and studs to the closet. In that one day we finished ripping out the closet and got 85% of the walls down to the studs. Used up ALL 25 forty-two gallon contractor bags and other bins Bob brought for us. I am having a hard time letting go of the toilet, so we left the tile behind the sink and toilet area (I tend to pee a lot at night). Next day was a "make up day" for me and I made 7 quarts of chicken soup, a batch of cookies, two double pie crusts, chicken pot pie, about 5 loads of laundry, and more cleaning. Today Bob returned and capped off all the plumping (and yes, I can still pee in the toilet). I posted the tub on Craig's list and though I am not getting money for it, someone IS coming to take it away tomorrow - FREE. That baby is HEAVY. Sink is gone. Next step: finish removing tile and plaster and chisel out that floor tile (ugh) Then I guess I am going to have to say good-bye to the toilet for a while. Must start training bladder now... I am starting an album, will keep you posted...

No comments: