Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So hot you can fry an egg on it...

So, it is outrageously hot here again today. This time heat warnings have been issued this time and ozone warnings until 10pm. Great. Not only was my beach trip FAR more work and frustration than joy for any of us, but now I feel guilty for doing it at all. I never saw the warnings before I left. So, about this little "trip"... Last night, Ethan was sweet enough to go ahead and try to fix the SECOND flat on that jogger before heading to Florida today. At first I was going to take the kids on a stroller ride to DD for coffee and treats then the playground. Then I thought, maybe it is too hot, I will just go to Houghton's Pond instead. I was loading up the truck and found the tire on that jogger went flat AGAIN. grrrr. I decided to take the single jogger instead - BIG mistake. I got the kids packed into the truck that incidentally does NOT have AC working. Only about 87 at this point. Hit a drive-in DD that was not on the way and got my iced coffee and 2 munchkins for Sophia. Got to the pond and got the furthest, last shade spot (important for the car that has no ac). I got Dylan in the jogger and the heavy bag on my shoulder and Sophia took the wagon of toys. Along the LONG (much longer today than most days) path to the beach. Sophia stopped for every stone, and leaf. I started getting frustrated as it was hot and Dylan was getting irritated just sitting there waiting for her. Sophia was so hot, she was all sweaty and said, hot mama. Poor thing. I decided to change things around and have her in the stroller as I carried Dylan and the bag and some how drag the wagon. I found a tether strap on the stroller that I tied to the wagon and then to my wrist to drag it. As I was getting this done Sophia was climbing into the stroller. Joggers are very tippy. Yup, it flipped back, but luckily there was a pillow in the back and her head didn't hit the ground. Off the went, me dragging the little green toy wagon, pushing the jogger with one hand and squirmy baby in the other. We got to the beach and no one was itching to do anything. I managed to get the kids out of their shorts, into the swim diapers and in the water. Again, neither were thrilled with the water. After about half an hour, Sophia was ready for home, so onto the blanket went Dylan, Sophia and all the sand she could bring on her feet, etc. I struggled to get the swim diapers off, change Dylan on my knee so the sun wasn't in his eyes. Having the bum knee wasn't helping matters either. Couldn't kneel on it and was really just using the one good one to support Dylan and stabilize myself. Luckily Sophia is big enough to stand on her own to change her diaper. Got her in the stroller, wagon in tow and Dylan squirming again. Got to the truck and as I was getting Dylan back into his car seat, Sophia was trying to get out of the stroller. No sooner did I notice this and get the words out "Sophia Don't! sit down" than she flipped back again. Again, lucky no head smashes. Beach days just aren't fun like they used to be before kids. I can't wait until they are out of swim diapers and BOTH walking.

I decided to test out the egg on sidewalk thing today. I guess the sidewalk wasn't hot enough. Just another mess for me to clean. Brilliant.

No comments: